How HR Can Tackle Turnover Rates

Written by Datis Admin

July 18, 2018

How HR Can Tackle Turnover Rates

Employee retention is on the minds of top executives in the Health and Human Services industry, as organizations continue to search for ways to keep employee satisfaction levels high and turnover rates low. However, nobody is more eager to find an effective retention solution than Human Resources. The 2017 DATIS Workforce Management Trends Report, which surveyed numerous influential HR professionals, found that an overwhelming 77% of HR respondents reported that employee retention was a top priority for the year ahead.

The Problem
Healthcare is a labor-driven service that heavily depends on the skills and talents of every employee. The ability to find and keep this talent is essential for organizations that want to provide exceptional care for their clients. Unfortunately, the Health and Human Services industry and high turnover rates have historically gone hand-in-hand, forcing organizations within the industry to think outside the box to try and reverse this notorious trend.

When asked to specify their organization’s current turnover rate, an alarming 40% of HR professionals admitted that their organization is facing a turnover rate of 20% or higher. A further 29% of HR respondents reported a turnover rate of 15-20%. If it weren’t for the low turnover rate in executive positions within Health and Human Services organizations, these numbers could be much higher. Statistics like these leave many wondering why high turnover rates continue to plague this industry.

The Solution
While many organizations seek to reduce turnover rates, many fail to understand the root causes of the problem and lack effective strategies to improve retention. First, organizations must look at the positions employees continue to vacate. Most Health and Human Service positions are infamous for their taxing, grueling responsibilities that are often met with generally low salaries and long hours. This alone is enough to cause employees to seek employment elsewhere.

One proven method to improve turnover rates is implementing an updated employee engagement strategy within an organization. Research has shown that if employees are enthusiastic and emotionally committed to their work, they are more likely to stay with their organization. With only 45% of HR professionals claiming to have an updated employee engagement plan, there is clear room for improvements for the remaining 55% of organizations.

Management also plays a large role in retention. Gallup, a performance management consulting firm, found that 50% of employees had left a job at some point “to get away from their manager.” Organizations must adopt a more supportive management strategy in an attempt to keep their top performers. With that said, 37% of HR respondents don’t believe their organizations fosters a supportive management system.

Employee retention is the focus of Human Resource professionals in 2017. As turnover rates remain high, HR must collaborate with their organization’s executives to implement strategies and systems that drive employee engagement and satisfaction. By prioritizing retention, organizations will see a decrease in turnover and an increase in overall organizational productivity.

This DATIS Blog was written by James Clark, DATIS, on April 24th, 2017 and may not be re-posted without permission.